Beginning in 2023, the Downers Grove Golf Club will be renamed the BELMONT GOLF CLUB. We are rebranding the golf course to its historic name, which will honor the history of this legendary course.

The acorn-shaped shield of the logo is reflective of the Belmont Trophy dating back to 1919, which is on display in the Clubhouse.

Inspiration for the letter “B” in Belmont was drawn from the Golfers’ Green Book. Circa 1901, this book contained the complete details of golf clubs in the Chicago region and highlighted the significant features and history of the Belmont Golf Club including the course’s score card, Clubhouse photo and links map.

 

       

 

History of the Belmont Golf Club

In 1892, Charles Blair Macdonald, the grandfather of American golf, designed the first nine holes west of the Allegheny Mountains in Downers Grove, Illinois, at Belmont Road. At this original site of the Chicago Golf Club, Macdonald designed nine more holes for the course in 1893, making it the first 18-hole course in the United States. By 1895, Chicago Golf Club members decided to build a new 18-hole golf course near Wheaton, Illinois, and abandoned the Belmont location.

In 1899, Herbert J. Tweedie and a group of friends formed the Belmont Golf Club on the site. As a founding member of the Belmont Golf Club, his first major accomplishment was to keep several of the original holes of Chicago Golf Club in play after their move to Wheaton.

The location of the 18 holes in Downers Grove are most famously known throughout golf history as Belmont Golf Club, one of the original courses of the western golf association founded in 1899. The current layout of the course features 6 holes that have had very minor changes to them dating back to the late 1800s. These holes are referred to as the “Original Six” and includes holes number 1, 2, 4, 7, 8, and 9.